Try your 10 day trial now with Money Back Guarantee.
Sweet, juicy and morish, the humble grape might seem like the perfect snack to share with your dog so it’s normal to ask yourself: Can dogs eat grapes? Unfortunately, grapes are bad for your dog, so you can’t give them to your furry friends in any shape or form. Read along to find out why and what to do if your dog eats grapes by accident.
Can Dogs Eat Grapes?
The short answer is: No - dogs should never be given grapes to eat. It doesn’t matter whether the grapes are peeled or seedless, they are bad for dogs. Eating grapes can cause severe illness or even death, due to acute kidney failure.
We know that chocolate is bad for dogs because it contains theobromine which can cause chocolate poisoning. However, scientific research has yet to discover what compound within the grape makes it so toxic to dogs
Though some dogs may be more prone to the ill effects of grape toxicity, their age, breed or sex do not appear to be correlated to the severity of the reaction they experience.
Can a single grape kill my dog?
Maybe you are thinking about giving your furry friend one grape; just one? Unfortunately for your pooch, even a single grape can be enough to cause a negative reaction. Experimenting is simply not worth the risk and there are plenty of other fruits and vegetables dogs can eat, so it’s best to stay on the safe side and never feed grapes to your dog.
Can dogs eat raisins?
Raisins are dried grapes, so they are just as toxic to dogs as fresh grapes and also pose a significant threat to your four-legged buddy. This is why your dog should never eat raising either.
Symptoms of Grape Poisoning in Dogs
It can often only require a tiny amount of grape/raisin ingestion for dogs to experience the symptoms of grape poisoning. As science is still unsure as to what compound in grapes causes toxicity in dogs, the exact amount required is also unknown.
Common symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs include:
- Kidney failure (often fatal)
- Abdominal pain
- Really bad breath
- Lethargy, weakness or the dog ‘not feeling itself’
- Loss of appetite
- Signs of dehydration - such as dry nose and mouth, panting, trouble breathing, pale gums
- Increase in thirst and urination
- Decrease in or no urine production
- Vomiting and/or diarrhoea
If you spot any of the above symptoms, please call your veterinarian for advice immediately, as this might be a medical emergency.
Can Grapes Kill a Dog?
Yes, grape toxicity can lead to sudden acute kidney failure which can kill your dog within 72 hours.
Even when it’s not deadly, acute kidney failure can have serious, long-term effects and diminish significantly the quality of life of your pup. Therefore, you should always stay vigilant when it comes to your four-legged friend and grapes.
What should I do if my dog eats grapes?
Though some dogs can eat dozens of grapes with little-to-no ill effect, it is just not worth the risk of waiting to see how your pooch is handling grapes. If you suspect that your dog may have eaten some or if you spot any of the symptoms of grape poisoning described above, you must call your doctor immediately. Consulting with a veterinarian as soon as possible gives your pup a better chance of survival and successful recovery.
As a first emergency treatment measure, your vet may recommend that you try to induce vomiting in the pup. However, this depends on the symptoms exhibited by your dog. For example, you should not attempt to induce vomiting if your dog is struggling to breathe or displays symptoms of shock.
Safe Alternatives to Grapes
Grapes may be off the table but there are a number of fruits that dogs can eat safely, so why not treat your furry friend to one of the delicious options listed below instead:
- Oranges (peeled and with the seeds removed)
- Cherries (de-pitted and with stem and leaves removed)
- Mango (de-pitted and cut into small pieces)
- Peaches (de-pitted)
Looking for new healthy food and treats for your dog to try? Check out Bug Bakes - a nutritionally complete, insect-based, cold-pressed eco dog food, designed for happy and healthy dogs.
And don’t forget, the answer to the question “Can dogs eat grapes” is always no - so if your furry friend accidentally consumes a grape or a raisin, get in touch with your veterinarian for advice as soon as possible.